A lawn tractor is one of the most effective tools that you could get for your garden. It allows you to keep everything maintained in a proper fashion without requiring any significant effort on your part. With that being said, lawn tractors require another component in order to deliver a great performance; dedicated batteries. In this article, we will reveal their main qualities and we will outline a blueprint that will enable you to identify the best lawn tractor battery for your needs.
The characteristics that you should prioritize when you are buying a lawn tractor battery
In order to successfully pick the best lawn tractor battery, you need to be familiar with several features and characteristics that are essential to the performance reliability of the unit. Below is a brief overview of the important factors that you should focus on.
The specs and features are not the only aspects that you should pay attention to. The build quality of a battery goes hand in hand with its performance and ability to withstand extensive and prolonged use. Make sure that the battery has a solid casing that is constructed from high-quality materials such as heavy-duty aluminum or metal plates with calcium.
Voltage is a factor that will invariably come up when the specs of a battery are mentioned. Generally speaking, most lawn tractors require a battery that is rated at 12 volts. To make sure that is indeed the case for your equipment, check the manufacturer’s description before making your purchase.
Cold cranking amps
Contrary to a very common misconception, the CCA is not only relevant to cars, RVs, and other large motor vehicles. The cold cranking amps rating measures the battery’s ability to operate in cold weather. The higher it is, the better your lawn tractor will fare in low temperatures.
The size of the terminal
Lawn tractors are relatively fragile pieces of equipment and trying to force any unit that does not fit can cause irreparable damage. For that reason, it is imperative that you get a battery that has a terminal that is compatible with your lawn tractor. Furthermore, its position needs to be in line with the tractor’s requirements.
Reviews of the best lawn tractor batteries
1 – ExpertPower EXP12200 12V 20AH Lead_Acid_Battery
- Genuine ExpertPower Battery - The Most Trusted And Highest Reviewed Sealed Lead Acid...
- Battery Type - 12 Volt 20 Amp / 20 Hour Sealed Lead Acid Battery
- Ease Of Mind -All Of Our Batteries Are MAINTENANCE FREE and VALVE REGULATED
- AGM Tech - Utilizes Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) Technology And Has A Wide Temperature Range
This is an extremely affordable lawn tractor battery that can provide reliable and efficient power for various work machinery and equipment. On top of being rechargeable, this unit is designed to last for a long time and withstand the rough conditions that are associated with the heavy workload of tractors.
Power wise, this battery packs a number of impressive specs. It is rated at around 12 volts and 20 amperes and has the capacity to deliver 20 hours of continuous operation when it is fully charged. Furthermore, it employs the efficient AGM technology that tightly seals battery acid and significantly enhances the overall performance of the unit. For the price that you are paying, you are getting a fairly powerful battery that is just as durable as it is easy to maintain.
- It uses AGM technology to seal battery acid
- The case is made from highly durable materials
- It is competitively priced
- It can provide up to 20 hours of continuous charge
- The amperage of this unit is somewhat underwhelming
- The actual dimensions of the battery are different than what the manufacturer advertises
2 – Mighty Max Battery 12V 35AH SLA Battery
- ML35-12 SLA is a 12V 35AH Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) rechargeable maintenance free battery.
- Dimensions: 7.68 inches x 5.16 inches x 7.13 inches. Listing is for the Battery and Screws...
- SLA / AGM spill proof battery has a characteristic of high discharge rate, wide operating...
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration....
Despite its simplistic and generic design, this battery stands out as one of the top options in its price range. It is compatible with all types of tractors and mowers as well as a wide range of battery-powered equipment. It is characterized by a versatile range of application that enables it to operate smoothly in a number of settings that extend beyond home use.
The specs of the Mighty Max are simply outstanding, especially when you keep in mind that this unit is fairly affordable. It can deliver up to 20 hours of power after a full charge and it is rated at 12 V and 35 Amps. In addition to its reliable output, the durability of this battery is also worth noting. The case uses the extremely safe SLA technology that effectively seals battery acid and the calcium-alloy grid that is it constructed from guarantees its overall sturdiness and longevity.
- The battery is quite versatile
- It is made of a heavy-duty calcium-alloy grid
- It employs SLA technology
- It boasts a highly reliable power output
- It is too bulky and heavy
- The manufacturer does not provide sufficient cranking information
3 – Neptune NT1234 12v 3.4ah SLA
- Neptune NT-1234 12 Volt 3.4 Amp Sealed Lead Acid Hi-Capacity Rechargeable Battery
- Length: 5.28" Width: 2.64" Height: 2.40" - F1 Terminal
- 12-Month Warranty & Lifetime Technical Support from AAA Security Depot since 1991
- Sealed AGM design makes batteries leak free, maintenance free high performance Sealed Lead...
The Neptune features all the essential qualities that any decent unit should have. It boasts a sturdy spill-proof build and it comes with one of the most durable high impact cases on the market. More importantly, it is a flexible power source that can be utilized with a wide array of equipment and devices. The list includes everything from yard and lawn maintenance tools to bicycles and jump starters. When it comes to versatility, it is virtually peerless when compared to other entry-level models.
Another thing that sets it apart from other cheap options is its impressive ability to retain a charge for a long period of time. You can expect a decent number of hours that is comparable to that of mid-range batteries out of the Neptune.
- This option offers the highest quality to price ratio on the market
- The battery life that it provides is decent
- The design is spill-proof
- The high impact case is very durable
- The wires tend to detach very easily
- The instructions in the manual are not very clear
4 – Chrome YTH2448 Lawn Tractor Battery
- Battery type: 12 volt 35 amp hour sealed lead acid battery with T3 terminal is a...
- Versatile fit: this 12V 35AH battery fits in a variety of applications, ranging from alarm...
- Length: 7. 68 inch height: 6. 46 inch width: 5. 12 inch weight: 21. 71 lbs.
- Top technology: the acid inside is constructed with Absorbed glass mat technology allowing...
This battery has a great design and it is capable of powering most types of lawn tractors in an efficient and reliable manner. It employs SLA technology and the materials that were used to construct it are extremely durable, ensuring a long lifespan and an overall high level of functionality. As it is the case with other similarly-priced options in this list, this battery can provide up to 20 hours of continuous operation when it is fully charged. Moreover, its ability to retain a decent output even after a full year of extensive use is an extremely valuable quality that is worth appreciating.
Thanks to a heavy-duty ABS plastic construction, the casing of the battery is highly adept at absorbing shocks and resisting vibrations. As for the maintenance requirements of the Chrome battery, they are virtually non-existent. As long as you avoid overcharging it, this battery can last for years.
- It employs both SLA and AGM technologies
- The ABS plastic case is extremely durable
- It can effectively absorb shocks and resist vibrations
- It is easy to maintain
- It is relatively heavy
- It has no safeguards against overcharging or short-circuiting
5 – Universal Power Group 12V 35Ah Battery
- Upg # D5722 Ub12350 12V 35ah
- Dimensions: 7.75 inches x 5.19 inches x 7.13 inches. Weight: 22.50 lbs
- Sla/agm maintenance free, spill proof battery
- Rechargeable battery that can be mounted in any position, resists shocks and vibration
This battery from renowned market leaders UPG packs a lot of features considering its relatively affordable rate. It is specifically designed for John Deere Lawn and garden equipment and it is substantially cheaper than other alternatives with the same capacity. The power specs of the Universal are comparable to that of the factory model; around 12 V and 35 Amperes. It can last up to 20 years once fully charged. However, it is worth noting that this time can be cut substantially if you use the battery with non-compatible lawn equipment.
The great thing about this battery is the fact that it comes with several safety features that protect it against a host of different issues. It is equipped with T3 connection terminals that safeguard it against short-circuiting and it features a reinforced ABS plastic case that diffuses shocks and vibrations.
- It comes with several safety features
- The battery is the ideal option for John Deere equipment
- It boasts an impact-resistant outer case
- It is backed by a great warranty
- The excessive weight makes it difficult to move around
- It is not as versatile as some of the other options in the list
Picking the best lawn tractor battery should be easy now that you have read this comprehensive guide. If you are still unsure about which option is the ideal one for you, we recommend you to go over the reviews again and check some customer reviews so that you can get a better idea of what each model has to offer in term of performance and durability. After all, every single battery reviewed here is excellent and you can never go wrong with any of them.
Last update on 2021-05-12 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API